In 2001, I cast the sole vote against the Authorization for Use of Military Force (AUMF) that launched the global war on terror in the aftermath of the devastating 9/11 attack.
My career has been defined by a record of foreign policy advocacy that centers on development, diplomacy, and human rights — including being among the first in Congress to call for a permanent ceasefire in Gaza, and being the only candidate to call for an immediate, permanent ceasefire as the most effective way to prevent more civilian suffering and death, bring hostages home, and allow for diplomatic solutions.
I have been ranked as the most effective member of the 117th Congress in the area of International Affairs, and have a long record of leading on anti-war efforts in Washington:
Opposing Endless Wars
- I was the only member of Congress who voted against the Authorization of Military Force (AUMF) that launched the global war on terror. I have worked in a bipartisan fashion to repeal the laws that enable endless wars and rein in the executive branch on war powers.
Standing Up For Civil Liberties
- I am the only candidate running for Senate in California who voted against the USA PATRIOT Act, standing up for Americans’ civil liberties and right to privacy, and who leads legislation to end the Central Intelligence Agency’s long-running drone strike program.1
Calling For Accountability
- I’m unafraid to call out my own party. I voted against President Obama’s drone strikes in Libya, and called on President Biden to seek Congressional approval for action related to global weapons transfers.
Slashing The Bloated Defense Budget
- Year after year, I always vote to slash the bloated Pentagon budget. I introduced the People Over Pentagon Act, which would redirect money from the Defense budget to healthcare, child care, education and student debt relief, clean energy, and other priorities. We cannot allow the corporate defense contractors and weapons manufacturers who benefit from this excess budget to continue to line their pockets at the expense of working families.
- I led the effort to audit the only federal cabinet department never before audited: The Pentagon. And I lead bipartisan legislation to apply financial penalties for each failed DOD audit — recently, it failed its sixth one.
It’s our responsibility as the United States to wield our power and vast wealth to support our common humanity. In the Senate, I will bring my vast foreign affairs experience to lead with diplomacy, fight for Congressional oversight of military assistance and accountability to the American people, oppose endless wars and wasteful Defense spending, and advocate for global peace and security.